Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Screw City Monster Part II | WHFB

Made some progress on the Nurgle Beast [Soul Grinder for now]... Probably going to add some kind of Howdah with Plaguebearers, etc. on it.

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Screw City Monster | WHFB

Very, very WIP. 

After consideration I decided to go a different route on the required Monster for the Screw City GT. 

Will be a [subject to play testing] a Giant Spined Chaos Beast or a Great Chaos Spawn or a Soul Grinder. Spiffy foam armature to Start... 

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Spiders! Part II | WHFB

Made some progress on the first Spider Unit. Worked out the spacing, etc. Unit fillers are now 3 bases wide, gives more opportunities for dynamic posing, etc.

They will be able to rank up, but it will be a bit tricksy...  I will move the pin holding the spider on the left to the rear to hide it some. As these will be for gaming, the pins will help the spiders be more durable and is a nice way to hold the figures for painting.

The riders will be converted regular gobbos (using wolf rider legs). In order to work out the presentation of the unit, I will build all the spiders first and then add the riders. That way I can work out poses, interactions, etc. in situ.

Thanks for looking

Friday, July 4, 2014

Spiders! Part I | WHFB

Started commission work on a series of units and models. Spider Riders [2 units of 25!], some heroes, and a heavily converted Arachnarok Spider suspended on a web. For these I will only be doing the converting/construction [which is the fun part :)].

Decided to do the units first, lets me get "warmed up" to the project. Here is concept test for the Spiders:

I always do a test model [and review it with the client] on projects that involve a lot of figures. Saves a lot of time and angst down the road. I will go in and detail up the joints. On the remaining models I round down the tube ends on the legs, which make finishing the joints easier.

As the spiders will have a larger footprint than the stock models, I will need to work out how they rank-up. I intend to use a combination of vertical and horizontal spacing. I will work out an "A" and "B" alignment for basing so the models [- filler stands, which will work with both].

Like this:


Bases and fillers laid out for the first unit:

Thanks for looking

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Blood in the Sun | WHFB

I had the pleasure of attending the "Blood in the Sun" GT in suburbs of Chicago a couple of weeks ago. Rode down and hobby BS'd with another of the Handsome Point Boys, Johnny Hastings.

Here is my army for the weekend:

Short Version of List:

Epidemius [General]

Nurgle Herald [Palanquin, BSB, Regen]

Big horde of 42 plaguebearers

2 units of 5 Furies

3 Plague Drones

Units of 3, 2, and 1 Beasts of Nurgle

3 Units of 3 Nurglings

2 Skullcannons

No magic was a risk IMHO, I wanted to give it a shot. [short rant... I loathe how powerful a couple of spells are in WHFB...]

I found this army was pretty tough, but not equipped to wipe somebody out in less than 6 turns. I built this list to maximize Epidemius' effects [everything aside from the Skillcannons is Nurgle marked.

Amazingly, I never lost Epidemius in the tournament [although he was down to one wound twice :) ]

Overall I finished in the 20's and 4 points (4!) from top daemon Army. It was a great weekend of gaming and Nerd Nirvana!

Game one vs. Khorne Daemons [Dan Ruud]:

Dan's List:
Blood Thirster [General] + gifts
Herald BSB + gifts
Herald on Crusher + gifts
Huge Block of Bloodletters [50!]
5 Crushers
2 single Beasts of Nurgle

I got to go first, managed to get the Thirster down to 2 wounds and Destroy the skull cannon in an incredible [for me] 1st round of shooting. I arranged my units in depth in order prevent the Thirster from swooping in and killing Epidemius :).

Dan's Thirster charged a single Beast of Nurgle that managed to hold the critter for 2 turns until I could bring in support and kill the monster:


... That sorta sums up the game, I managed to get an almost full Epidemius Tally and was poised to roll over the remaining Horde, but ran out of time.

15-5 win for Epidemius!

Round 2 vs. Warriors of Chaos [Chris Walker]

Sadly, pictures did not turn out. Chris is a very good player who I have seen for years at events but never played. It was a pleasure.

Chris ran combo of fast cav and heavy armored units, Deamon Prince of Slaanesh, 2 chariots and Hellcannon.

Predictably I had trouble with getting to grips with units I could defeat to get the Tally going and had nothing for the heavily armed units. Chris avoided my main horde and pretty much killed everything else. Well Played

13-7 Loss for Epidemius.

Games 3-5 in another post.

Thanks for looking!

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Swedish dip test

Finally getting this dipping thing down... Using minwax dark oak and thinner vs. Army Painter. These are color an test models for a large commission for a full army. I will detail up the characters, etc. and I think they will fine for table top which is the goal.

Thanks for looking.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Tau Vehicles and Kroot | WH40K

Sorry for lack of Posts, been an incredibly busy couple of months. Goal for April is to catch up...
Anyhoo, here are some shots of the last of the TAU commission army I just finished up.

Used Tamiya Weathering powders for the first time, really like the look and ease of use, particularly on the Hammerhead.  I also airbrushed shading/highlighting.

No conversions on the Piranhas, a ton on the Hammerhead (see if you can spot them all).

The Kroot are, well, Kroot.

Sad to see these models go, I am particularly pleased with the Hammerhead, it just looks tougher than a Devilfish.  BTW, I absolutely hate that GW chose fish names for the Tau vehicles.

Thanks for looking